Basil Habañeros Marinara Penne Pasta Recipe
Submitted By:from Sugar Land.
Basil Habañeros Marinara Penne Pasta Notes
Hot and spicy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium fresh habanero pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 14 ounce cans plum (Roma) tomatoes, hand crushed or diced with hard cores removed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, tightly rolled and sliced into thin ribbons (reserve some as garnish)
- to taste, salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces penne pasta, cooked al dente
- for garnish, Parmesan Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
Serves / Yields
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and pepper and cook until both are softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Toss the sauce with the pasta. Add basil and toss several times.
Remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with basil, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese.
Be very careful in handling the Habañero peppers. I wear latex gloves.
You can substitute green bell peppers for Habañero peppers, for a traditional Marinara sauce.
Visit my site at "www.CookingWithCarlo.com".
Leave off the parmesan for a vegan recipe.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!