Cal's Creamy Mushrooms Recipe
Cal's Creamy Mushrooms Notes
A clasic recipe that is simple and universally liked. The recipe can be adjusted to each cook's individual tastes.
- 1 8 ounce package fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 tablespoons (equal to 1/4 cup) butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk (or half & half)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- splash Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 small splashes cooking sherry
- to taste, kosher salt
Serves / Yields
Serves 2 as a sidedish.
- Clean and slice mushrooms discarding the ends of the stems.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté mushrooms until tender.
- Mix flour into milk and sherry to dissolve. Add soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper to flour mixture.
- Add flour mixture to mushrooms and stir until thickened. (If not thick enough, I add arrowroot starch.)
Serve as side dish with meat dish of choice, or use as a mushroom sauce or topping to meat by adjusting the thickness accordingly.
To re-heat leftovers, heat over low heat. Then, add a little milk at a time to saucepan until desired thickness is reached.