Celebration Baked Beans Recipe
Submitted By:from Milwaukee.
Celebration Baked Beans Notes
This is a family heirloom although with adaptations.
- 1 1/2 pounds dried lima beans
- 1 stick butter
- 4 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 large onions)
- 2 tablespoons grated or finely minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 14 ounce bottle ketchup (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 15 ounce can tomato soup
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Serves / Yields
Sort beans and soak overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
Preheat oven to 275.
Heat large pan over medium heat. Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until lightly browned. Add catsup, brown sugar, tomato soup, mustard and spices and simmer 2-3 minutes. Add beans and mix well. Transfer to a corning or glass covered casserole and bake uncovered in oven 3 hours. Check beans at 2 hours to see if they need more liquid. Add some reserved cooking water if too dry.
Nothing beats the slow cooking to infuse the beans with flavor.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!