Chicken Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken) Recipe
Submitted By:from Delft.
- 28 ounces (1 3/4 pounds) chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons, divided, ground Garam Masala
- 185 ml (heaping 3/4 cup) plain yogurt, divided
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 25 grams (about 2 tablespoons) chopped shallots
- 50 grams (about 3 tablespoons) chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 5 grams (about 1 teaspoon) minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (2-3 cloves) garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon medium chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 250 ml (about 1 cup) tomato coulis or tomato paste
- 250 ml (about 1 cup) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (or more as needed) water
- 25 grams (about 1/4 cup) coarsely ground unsalted cashews
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
Serves / Yields
- Blend 1 teaspoon Garam Masala and 1/2 cup Yogurt and add to the Chicken Breasts and marinate for at least 2 hours. (Leave the Chicken Breasts whole)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/ 175° C and bake the chicken pieces for 30 minutes. Cut the cooked Chicken Breasts into ¾ inch pieces.
- Very finely mince the Shallot and Yellow Onion in a food processor. Heat Peanut Oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the shallot and yellow onion until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the Lemon Juice, Ginger, Garlic, remaining teaspoon Garam Masala, Chili Powder, Cumin, Fenugreek, Cayenne Pepper, Salt, Pepper, Sugar, Tomato Puree, Heavy Cream, remaining Yogurt and Water. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the Cashews to the sauce and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add the chicken to the warm sauce. Stir in the Unsalted Butter until just melted, adjust thickness by adding a little water if needed and serve.