Choucroute (Ribs with Sauerkraut) Recipe
Submitted By:from West Allis.
- 2 pounds lean pork back ribs or country ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 packages (32 ounces each) fresh sauerkraut
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 16 juniper berries, crushed
- 3 McIntosh or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 smoked pork chops
- 2 cups dry white wine
Serves / Yields
8 hearty servings
Divide ribs into 4 serving-size sections: sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste. Roast on broiling rack in oven at 450 degrees until golden brown, about 30 minutes (you may also pre-brown ribs on gas grill over medium heat, about 20 minutes, turning ribs after 10 minutes, if desired). Drain off and discard fat. Place ribs in bottom of medium-size roasting pan or large Dutch oven. Rinse sauerkraut in colander under cold running water 3 times; drain well; squeeze out excess liquid. On paper plate, blend brown sugar, raisins, onion, caraway seed and juniper berries, if desired. Layer 1/2 of sauerkraut, 1/2 of brown sugar mixture and 1/2 apple slices over top of ribs in roasting pan. Top with smoked pork chops. Layer on remaining sauerkraut, brown sugar mixture and apple slices. Slowly pour wine over all. Cover and bake at 300 degrees 4 hours, or place in slow cooker on low and cook 5 hours.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!