Deb's Chicken Soup Recipe
Deb's Chicken Soup Notes
This is my own concoction using ingredients from The Spice House.
- 1 chicken (3 pounds)
- 1 Tablespoon Orrington Farms chicken-flavored soup base
- 1 Tablespoon freeze-dried shallots
- 2 teaspoons freeze-dried chives
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 Tablespoons Parisian Bonnes Herbes
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Mushrooms
- 1-3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste (I use Peppercorns Royale.)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup orzo (or other pasta or rice)
Serves / Yields
Cut chicken and place in stock pot. Add just enough water to cover the chicken. Cover pot and boil until chicken is done.
Remove chicken pieces and allow to cool.
Strain broth and return to stock pot.
When chicken has cooled sufficiently, remove meat from bones. Chop meat and place in stock pot with broth.
Add chicken-flavored soup base, freeze-dried shallots, freeze-dried chives, marjoram, Parsian Bonnes Herbes, Fine Herbs Aux Duxelles, 2 teaspoons salt, and freshly ground pepper.
Add carrots, celery and peas. Simmer on low until vegetables are soft.
About 1 hour prior to serving, add orzo.
Add more water if desired. Adjust salt as needed.
Orrigton Farms soup bases are available at The Spice House stores. Please call for availability. The Milwaukee store has a toll free number, 888-488-0977.