Doctored-Up Tomato Sauce Recipe
Submitted By:from West Allis.
Doctored-Up Tomato Sauce Notes
Making your own homemade tomato sauce, although a labor of love, can be very time consuming. Here is a recipe that you can make even on a weeknight that tastes like you slaved all day. It's your secret!
- 1 24-ounce jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 15-ounce can plain tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup medium diced onion
- 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms,drained (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse dustless black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon roasted granulated garlic
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
Serves / Yields
4 - Servings
Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onions, mushrooms, if using and the Herbs. Cook stirring until the onions are soft. Add all the remaining ingredients to pan. Rinse out can and jar of sauces with 1/2 CUP water and add also. Heat to boiling, reduce to simmer, and cook covered for as long as you like. At least 1 hoir. Taste along the way and adjust for seasoning.
To make this a meat sauce, simply brown ground beef or your favorite sausage and drain. Add to sauce. Great for any pasta, lasagna, stuffed shells, chicken or veal parmesan. Use your imagination. Be your own kitchen goddess. Change it every time, or create one that is your signature sauce.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!