Hamburger Pie Recipe
Hamburger Pie Notes
This is a favorite recipe when my kids were growing up. It's quick and easy for a busy family, can be prepared ahead of time and it taste good warmed up.
- 1 pound ground beef or a mixture of beef and turkey
- enough for 8 serving instant potatoes (Potato Buds)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 teaspoons Old World 3rd Street Seasoning
- or Beef Roast Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Cheddar cheese
Serves / Yields
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix meat, 1 1/3 cup instant potatoes (dry), the egg, seasonings, onion, catsup and milk. Spread in ungreased pie pan, 9x1 1/2 inches. Bake uncovered 35 minutes until ground beef is done. Drain fat if you want from pie pan.
Prepare remaining instant patotoes as directed on package for 4 servings. Top baked meat loaf with mashed potatoes, sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3 to 4 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
You can make meat mixture ahead of time. Put it in the pie pan store in refrigerator covered up to 24 hours or freeze in a large patty the size of the pie pan for up to 4 months. Thaw 5-8 hours in refrigerator or cook patty frozen.
I have used left over mashed potatoes for the top.