Mr. McGregor's Carrot Patch Cake Recipe
Submitted By:from Dousman.
Mr. McGregor's Carrot Patch Cake Notes
This recipe comes to us courtesy of the "Spice of Life Cookbook" by Treva Davis (no longer in print).
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water (hot to help cake rise)
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots (2-3)
- nonstick pan spray
- 8 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon low-calorie margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon skim milk (in reserve)
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
Serves / Yields
Makes 18 Servings
Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (sugar, flours, baking soda and powder, and spices). Add egg whites, milk, applesauce, vanilla and boiling water. Beat with electric mixer at high speed for 2 mintues. Fold in shredded carrots.
Spray 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick pan spray. Pour bater into pan and bake 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on rack before frosting.
For frosting, combine cream cheese, margarine, vanilla and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Add milk only if frosting appears too thick. Frost cake and sprinkle with walnuts immediately. Otherwise, frosting will set and nuts won't stick.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!