« Back to Recipe
Healing Soup Recipe
Healing Soup Notes
This is from a book called "Food Doctor" that we found at our local library's annual used book sale. We like to put a dollop of soft fresh cheese or grate some cheddar into the center of our soup bowls befor ladeling in the hot soup. Like most soups the variations are endless.
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 medium potatoes
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 14 ounce can chickpeas
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 strands saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Serves / Yields
8 to 10 servings
- Dice celery& onion. Peel & dice potatoes & carrots. Dice tomatoes, remove seeds.
- Simmer 1 1/2 C. veggie stock with onions for a few min.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, curry, turmeric, cayenne, & ginger into about 2 T. of veggie stock. Mix well.
- Add to simmering stock and onions.
- Pour the rest of the veggie stock into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add potatoes,tomatoes, celery & carrots. Simmer till carrots are tender.
7 Pour in chickpeas, saffron & lemon juice, bring back to a simmer. Enjoy
If you'd like to add barley be sure to increase liquid to twice the amt. of barley. Sometimes vary by using sweet potato for 1/2 the amt. of potatoe.
This recipe was provided by Rosemarie Brooks from Union Grove.