« Back to Recipe
Lemon Twist Date Bars Recipe
Lemon Twist Date Bars Notes
I added the lemon peel and lemon extract to a recipe I found when looking for a way to use a package of dates.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon pure lemon extract
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup or more white chocolate and/or butterscotch chips
Serves / Yields
24 to-36 bars
- In mixing bowl, combine cake mix and brown sugar. Add melted butter, eggs, lemon peel, water and extract. Beat on medium speed for 2 min. Add dates and nuts
- Spread in greased 9x13 pan. Bake 40-45 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Melt chips and drizzle lightly over bars. Let cool completely before cutting.
This can be served as a dessert with either whipped topping or warm lemon sauce instead of the melted chips on top. Small pieces as this is very rich!
These freeze well.
This recipe was provided by Laurel Gifford from Keota.