« Back to Recipe
Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
Mediterranean Chicken Notes
I created this looking for new ways to cook chicken, especially in in the crock pot. My family doesn't like raisins so I added the fruit we did have. A favorite meal was born ;)
- 4-5 pound roasting chicken
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup dates
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup unsalted almonds or cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
Serves / Yields
- Wash and prepare the chicken.
- Mix the fruit, nuts, and spices (except salt & pepper) together in a bowl.
- Put 1/2 C of the spiced fruits and nuts inside the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a crock-pot and sprinkle it with the remaining nuts and fruit.
- Sprinkle the honey, salt and pepper over chicken.
- Add the water.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is finished (we leave it to cook all day and it's ready for us when we get home).
- Serve with couscous for a quick, yummy side dish. If prepared ahead, you have all you need for a quick tasty meal when you get home.
Replace water with broth if you wish but do not use wine. Although wine is good with many chicken dishes, it does not blend well with the fruit.
We find the fruit is great the first day but not as good the following days. The chicken is great as leftovers for several days.
This recipe was provided by Megan Wilson from Gaithersburg.