« Back to Recipe
Thai Fried Noodles (Phad Thai) Recipe
Thai Fried Noodles (Phad Thai) Notes
After taking a series of cooking classes on a vacation in Thailand, Kate Erd, of the Spice House was more than happy to share this recipe.
- 10-12 ounces rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 7 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 pounds shrimp, pork, chicken
- 1 cake tofu, cut into chunks or slivers
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons fish or soy sauce
- 1-2 ground chilis
- 1-1/2 cup tamarind juice
- 1-1/2 cup chopped fresh scallions
Serves / Yields
- Heat 5 tablespoons oil in a wok or frying pan, add noodles with just enough water or tamarind juice to soften them. Fry, turning constantly with a spatula to prevent sticking, then move to one side of the wok pan, or remove.
- Add 2 tablespoons cooking oil to pan. When heated, break the eggs into the pan and scramble with spatula, spreading egg in a thin layer over the pan.
- When set, return the noodles to the pan and mix together. Add shrimp, chicken or pork, tofu, fish sauce and tamarind juice. Mix together until meat is cooked.
- Quickly stir in bean sprouts, ground chile, sugar and scallions.
- Spoon onto plates and sprinkle ground peanuts on top. Serve immediately.
Fried noodles require a lot of oil. You can reduce the oil amount and par-boil the noodles in boiling salt water for 2 minutes. Glass noodles may also be substituted.
This recipe was provided by The Spice House.