Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Black and Red seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, diced
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 pound red beans, soaked overnight
- 8-10 cups water
- 4 cups white rice, cooked
In a heavy, large pot, heat the vegetable oil, and saute the onion, pepper, garlic, celery, black and red seasoning and cajun seasoning. Make sure that the spices are mixed evenly. Add the bay leaves, ham and sausage; continue to cook another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beans, and enough water to cover the entire mixture (about 4 cups to start). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer. Stir often. If the mixture becomes too thick, add more water. As the water cooks out or is absorbed by the beans, add more water. As the beans soften, mash half of them against the side of the soup pot. Be sure to scrape the sides of the pot as you stir. When the beans are fully cooked, serve over white rice, or mix in with the beans.
Total preparation is 3-4 hours. To cut the preparation time to about and hour, use 3 cans of kidney beans rinsed thoroughly.