Scarborough Potatoes Recipe
Submitted By:from Rochester Hills.
Scarborough Potatoes Notes
This is a modification of the standard Scalloped/AuGratin potatoes with sharper, British cheeses and four herbs that should be obvious to any Simon and Garfunkel fan!
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 baseball-sized onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 cups packed Gloucester Stilton cheese crumbles
Serves / Yields
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Mix the Potato slices and diced onion together and place into a butter greased 3 quart casserole dish
- In a 1.5 quart saucepan, melt the 3 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter over HIGH heat and then slowly mix in the 3 Tablespoons of flour, mixing constantly
- Once the flour and butter are mixed, slowly add the 2 cups of Milk and heat to thicken, continuing to rapidly stir to prevent burning.
- Mix in the Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme
- Add the cheese crumbles and reduce heat to simmer. Mix until the cheese crumbles have melted into the sauce
- Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes and onion in the casserole dish
- Cover and cook for 90 minutes
- Remove from oven, allow to stand for 15-20 minutes, then stir and serve
Gloucester Stilton Cheese should be easily found in any decent grocery store. It is basically layers of yellow-orange Gloucester and the whiter Stilton
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!