Shanghai-style Beef Stew Recipe
Submitted By:from Milwaukee.
Shanghai-style Beef Stew Notes
This is a new and different way to use Cake Spice and make a one pot meal.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 3 1/2 pounds blade chuck roast, boned, trimmed of visible fat, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups sliced onions
- 4-5 tablespoons peeled minced fresh ginger (about 2 inches)
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 5 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) peeled sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5-6 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) red potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cake spice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup honey or more to taste
- 1 bunch sliced green onion (green part only)
Serves / Yields
Preheat oven to 325. Heat 2 Tablespoons peanut oil in a large (5 quart+) oven proof Dutch oven over medium heat. Lightly brown meat in batches. Do not over crowd or meat will just release juices and not brown. Transfer browned meat to a large bowl. Put remaining 1Tablespoon of peanut oil into the pot and sauté the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions are clear. Meanwhile, thoroughly whisk together the Cake Spice, ketchup, sherry, tamari or soy sauce, sesame oil and honey. Taste, may taste a bit salty but the red potatoes will absorb this salt. Adjust for honey. Put onion mixture and potatoes into the large bowl. Pour the whisked sauce over the stew and stir or toss to coat. Pour stew back into the Dutch oven and bake in the oven for 3 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. To serve garnish with sliced green onions.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!