Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Submitted By:from Chesapeake.
Spaghetti Sauce Notes
Why buy the glass jar sauces? This recipe is super easy, fast and tasty. The use of small amounts of redolent spices gives this sauce interesting overtones.
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Serves / Yields
Saute onion and garlic in oil, until onion is translucent.
Meanwhile, saute hamburger (or prepare as meatballs). Then flood with warm water and drain in a colander, to remove fat.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and all spices to the onion and garlic. Add the hamburger. Simmer to develop flavor. Serve over pasta noodles of choice.
Douglas McNeill CAPT, MC, USNR aboard USS Wasp, at sea
To make meatballs, which have a wonderfully light texture, work about ½ cup of club soda into the ground meat for each pound just before cooking.