Spicy Sichuan Shrimp Recipe
Submitted By:from Chicago.
Spicy Sichuan Shrimp Notes
This is a personal favorite of mine. I discovered it while playing with many different recipes.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Tien Tsin chile peppers
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped (about 1/2" gingerroot)
- 3 medium cloves fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or 1 packet of Splenda)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
Serves / Yields
Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil, and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the peppercorns and sautee for 1 minute. With slotted spoon, remove peppercorns from oil. Add torn tien tsin peppers, ginger, garlic, green peppers and scallions.
Stir-fry for 20 seconds, then add the shrimp. Stir-fry the shrimp for about 1 minute.
Add the sauce ingredients and continue to stir-fry for another 3 minutes over a high heat. Serve immediately.