Spicy Stroganoff Recipe
Submitted By:from Rochester Hills.
Spicy Stroganoff Notes
This is a delicious twist on a classic recipe!
- 1 1/4 pounds beef tenderloin
- 2 teaspoon Spanish Smoked Paprika
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup double-strength beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 teaspoons pure ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 package egg noodles
- 1 poblano chili pepper, finely chopped
Serves / Yields
- Slice the beef tenderloin into thin strips. Place in an plastic oven bag with the 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika and shake to evenly coat the meat with the powder. Remove from bag and place aside in a bowl
- Boil water and cook egg noodles while chopping, measuring, and preparing all the other ingredients
- Heat a large (2qt minimum) skillet and melt 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter. Add the shallots and garlic to the butter and cook until golden. Add the mushrooms and sauté until soft. Set aside and place into a large bowl
- Allow the skillet to get hot, and then add the beef tenderloin and rapidly seer the meat to Rare. Now place the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms back in the skillet and mix well. Set aside and place back into the large bowl
- Add the beef broth to the skillet, and then add the tomato paste, horseradish, Ancho chili powder and dry mustard. Mix well and heat through
- Mix the sour cream into the skillet
- Add the beef, shallots, and mushrooms into the skillet
- Mix well, heat through, and serve on the egg noodles. Garnish with the chopped Poblano chili
As with many of my recipes, I recommend cooking dishes like this in heavy cast iron skillets.
This recipe can be modified for heat preference. As examples, you can dial up the heat by using chipotle powder instead of smoked paprika, or garnish with jalapenos.