Spicy Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Submitted By:from milwaukee.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 24 ounces veggie crumbles or extra hard tofu
- 2/3 cup dehydrated bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated jalapeno flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground New Mexican chili
- 1 tablespoon smoked hot paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cans, 28 ounces each crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup freeze dried corn
- to taste salt and pepper
- optional tomato powder
- optional corn meal
Serves / Yields
In a large soup pot, heat the oil and saute the onion, celery and garlic until translucent. Add the veggie crumbles and stir. Stir in all the dry seasonings and bell peppers and mix until evenly coated. Slowly pour in the vegetable broth, stirring often so the seasonings do not clump. Bring the liquid to a simmer until the peppers have softened. Add the tomatoes and beans. Bring back to a simmer and adjust the salt and pepper.
If you prefer a thicker chili add tomato powder or corn meal to thicken. Garnishes: green onion, cheese, sour cream, crackers, diced onion or fresh tomato.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!