Sunny Vegetable Soup Recipe
Submitted By:from San Francisco.
Sunny Vegetable Soup Notes
I love Spice House blends, so when Sunny Greek Islands appeared, I had to try it. One night I experimented and came up with this soup. The bright, lemony flavor of Sunny Greek Islands and the mellowness of Pasta Sprinkle enhance an assortment of veggies and broth to make a light, vibrant, healthy meal.
Amounts of seasonings are approximate. I like to salt and season as I go, to layer in flavor.
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10 ounce bag chopped kale (remove any hard stem pieces)
- 1-2 teaspoons Sunny Greek Islands Salt-Free Greek Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) Little Italy Italian Herb Blend
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) sea salt
Serves / Yields
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and mushrooms until they begin to soften. Salt lightly and sprinkle with some of the seasonings. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, and rice; season again and simmer 20-30 minutes until rice is almost done. Add kale, stir until wilted into the pot, season again, and simmer 10 minutes or until kale is softened but still bright green.