Sweet Potato Bisque Recipe
Submitted By:from Eau Claire.
Sweet Potato Bisque Notes
I used to work at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Milwaukee, and they used to serve a soup that they called "Sweet Potato Bisque". This is my attempt to duplicate it. I make this soup at least 5 or 6 times a year. I tend to make things up as I go along, so more or less of anything in this recipe will work.
- 2 quarts broth (chicken, pork, or vegetable)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 large carrots
- 1 pound ground pork or Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon whole caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground anise seed
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- 1/2-1 (or less) ground dried habanero chile pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons Smoked Spanish Hot Paprika
Serves / Yields
16 cups (more or less)
In a soup kettle, heat broth to boiling. Add peeled and cut potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and onion. Turn heat down, cover and simmer until sweet potatoes and potatoes are soft.
In another pan, cook ground meat with spices until browned, and then drain grease. Add meat and spices to broth.
Using a hand blender, or a food processor, blend soup until creamy. Serve.
This recipe takes about 15 minutes to prepare the vegetables and another hour to cook.
Any kind of hot pepper can be used in place of the habanero, if less heat is prefered, or no peppers at all. Wear gloves when handling whole habanero peppers.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!