Toasted Rice with Fresh Herbs and Lime Recipe
Toasted Rice with Fresh Herbs and Lime Notes
This recipe comes from our good friends, Judith Dunbar Hines and Rick Delby, at World Kitchen, a culinary program that takes place at Gallery 37, sponsered by the wonderful City of Chicago.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lime peel
Serves / Yields
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden, about 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the broth and lime juice, plus 3/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat, let stand tightly covered another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the chopped herbs with the lime peel. When ready to serve, toss together with the rice using a fork to mix well. Taste and add salt if necessary.
For a Mediterranean/Greek version, substitute as follows: Omit the cilantro. Use oregano, not marjoram. Substitute lemon juice and peel for the lime.