Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces, sauteed and set aside
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 whole green chilies, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef bouillon (or cubes)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- 3 whole chipotle chili peppers, stems cut off
- avocado, for plating
- cheddar cheese, grated, for plating
- corn tortilla chips, for plating
Serves / Yields
Sauté onion, green chilies, and garlic in oil until soft.
Add tomatoes, beef broth, chicken broth, water, tomato juice, and seasonings. Bring soup to a boil; lower heat and add chicken. Simmer covered 1 hour.
To serve, place corn tortilla chips in bottom of soup bowl along with 4-5 pieces chicken, 4 small slices avocado, and grated sharp Cheddar cheese. Add soup, and then add a bit more cheese on top. Serve hot.
You can use canned green chilies.
To use the Chipotle chiles, wash them and then cut the stems off. Float them in the soup while cooking, and remove them before serving. If you want very spicy soup, you can cut the Chipotles up and add them to the soup at the end.