Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Recipe
Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Notes
Although often made with a ham bone, our version of split pea soup is so hearty and heart healthy you won't miss the meat. Serve with thick slices of rustic bread.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound green split peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1/2 ounce Veggie Stock Gold
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- to taste, salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serves / Yields
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Stir in vegetables and sauté until softened (8-10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add peas, the diluted stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat so liquid is simmering. Cook until peas are very tender, about 1 to 1¼ hours.
Remove bay leaf. Transfer mixture to a food processor, or blender, and pulse until almost smooth.
Return to pot and heat until hot, adding more water, if necessary. Soup should be rather thick.