Having served as a foster parent for a number of Ethiopian young people during the 90's, I was lucky enough to get this recipe. I'll warn you...it's HOT!
3 - 4 cups
1. In a heavy 2 – 3 qt. saucepan, preferably enameled or non-stick, toast the ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice over low heat, stirring constantly, just until heated through. Let cool 5 – 10 minutes.
2. Combine the toasted spices, onions, garlic, 1 T of the salt and the wine in the jar of an electric blender and blend at high speed until the mixture is a smooth paste. A food processor will not suffice for this.
3. Combine the paprika, red pepper, black pepper, and remaining salt in the saucepan and toast over low heat, stirring constantly, for a minute or so, until they are heated through.
4. Stir in the water, ¼ c at a time, then add the spice and wine mixture.
5. Stirring constantly, cook over the lowest possible heat for 10 – 15 minutes.
This recipe was provided by Stephen G from Des Moines