I used to use various chili spice kits and then realized I could make better chili using my own blend of ingredients.
This chili is meant to be cooked in the oven for hours, filling your home with the wonderful smells of Tex-Mex cooking!
Chocolate is an authentic Southwestern/Mexican Spice that adds a definite twist to the chili, but don't worry - it won't taste like a chocolate candy bar!
1. Preheat Oven to 350°
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry spices together and set aside
3. Fill a pot (8 qt recommended) with the Base and heat until warm. There is no need to bring to a boil.
4. Once the Base is warm, add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the Thickener and the shredded cheese and mix well.
5. Cover the pot and place in the oven and cook for 3 hours
6. Mix the warm (NOT hot) water and masa flour together
7. Remove the pot from the oven, pour the Thickener into the chili, stir well, and return the covered pot back to the oven for an additional 30 minutes
8. Remove from the oven and mix in the 3 cups of cheese
9. Allow to stand for about 10 minutes
10. Eat and Enjoy!
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with The Spice House community? We are currently gathering recipes to include in our collection and we would love to share yours online.Submit Yours