1) Sort, rinse, and soak beans overnight in room temperature water. (8-12 hours)
2) In a large stock pot, cook chorizo and beef thoroughly, seasoning beef to taste with salt and pepper. Use a potato masher or spatula to break up meat into small pieces. Remove meat from pot and drain away the excess fat.
3) Fry onions, fresh chile peppers, and garlic in a small amount of leftover fat. Keep cooking until onions start to become glassy.
4) Add all other ingredients to the pot and stir until evenly mixed. Leave covered to simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour or more until beans are have cooked.
5) Remove lid and simmer so it can reduce to preferred thickness. Add corn masa as thickener if desired.
6) Serve with corn chips, fresh jalapeño slices, cilantro, sour cream, and a lime wedge.
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with The Spice House community? We are currently gathering recipes to include in our collection and we would love to share yours online.Submit Yours