1. Begin by draining the canned clams and retaining 1 cup of clam juice
2. Place into a 4 qt. pot the clam juice, double-strength chicken broth, 2% milk, heavy whipping cream, sauterne, and butter. Gently stir to mix well.
3. Place the pot on Medium-Low heat and stir occasionally. Warm this stock liquid slowly and DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL!
4. While the stock liquid is slowly heating, chop the leeks, shallots and potatoes.
5. Once the stock liquid is hot (BUT NEVER BOILING) stir in the red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic paste and bay leaves.
6. Heat a heavy cast-iron skillet and then melt the bacon grease. Add the leeks, shallots, and potatoes and fry until golden. Add the flour, mix well, and then add the corn. Cook for about 1 minute more
7. Transfer the contents of the skillet to the 4 qt pot along with the clams. Mix well and allow the chowder to get very hot, but, again NOT BOILING
8. Add the Gumbo File, mix well, and serve with high quality artisan-style crusty bread.
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with The Spice House community? We are currently gathering recipes to include in our collection and we would love to share yours online.Submit Yours