I discovered a delicious recipe for “Cream Scones” several years ago, in "The Joy of Cooking." Since then, I have made these scones with the variations suggested in the book, as well as some of my own devising -- to the delight of family, friends, colleagues and co-workers, for whom I bake batches regularly (not only because the scones themselves are so delicious, but also because the recipe is so simple to make). The Christmas 2003 issue of "Fine Cooking" magazine carried a recipe for "Double Ginger Scones." I adapted that recipe to my simpler “Cream Scones”, and am pleased to offer the following for your consideration. I must also say, that every one of these recipes has benefited from the unparalleled quality of The Spice House’s ingredients -- which I order regularly from my home in Canada. I am invariably thrilled with any of the spices, herbs, or extracts I order, and enjoy browsing through the extremely helpful catalogue, or the equally helpful information provided on the website. The quality of the products, and of the service of the staff of The Spice House has earned my admiration and loyalty as a customer. Thank you.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. Add the whipping cream.
4. Mix with a spatula, and once the cream has been well incorporated, knead lightly against the sides of the bowl until the dough holds together in a ball.
5. Remove from bowl and shape into an 8 or 9-inch round disk, about 3/4 of an inch thick.
6. Brush top of shaped dough with whipping cream and sprinkle with gingered sugar.
7. Deeply score round into wedges (pie slices).
8. Bake in center of oven for 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, break into triangle pieces along scored lines. Serve warm with clotted cream, butter, jam, or all three. Scones should be eaten soon after baking, but are good the next day as well.
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with The Spice House community? We are currently gathering recipes to include in our collection and we would love to share yours online.Submit Yours