8 sea scallops
2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil - divided
1/2 cup white onion - rough chop
2 celery stalks - rough chop
2 Tablespoons garlic - rough chop
1 Tablespoon ginger - rough chop
1/3 cup green apple - peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon The Spice House Fleur de Sel de Noirmoutier Malandel French Sea Salt
2 cups kabocha squash - peeled, seeded and cubed
1/2 - 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
1/3 cup of sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 - 3 Tablespoons The Spice House Spicy Sesame Seasoning
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
1. Gather all ingredients and equipment.
2. Clean scallops and dry on a paper towel. Set aside.
3. In a medium stock pot add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium heat.
4. Add in onions, celery, garlic, and ginger - cook until onions are translucent (about five minutes).
5. Add in apples and red pepper flakes - cook for an additional minute.
6. Season with salt and add in cubed squash - cook for five minutes.
7. Add in 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Add additional stock if needed. Cook until squash is fork tender.
9. Either using an immersion blender, blender or food processor - puree the squash mixture until smooth. Set aside.
10. In a medium skillet heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat and add sliced mushrooms.
11. Cook for three to four minutes, or until lightly browned.
12. Remove from heat and set aside.
13. Roll the scallops in the spicy sesame seasoning leaving the tops and bottoms bare.
14. In the same skillet, using the remaining oil sear scallops over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes).
15. To serve ladle the squash puree onto a plate or into a bowl, top with mushrooms, and then with the scallops.
16. For a little bit of sweetness drizzle some pure maple syrup over the top.
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with The Spice House community? We are currently gathering recipes to include in our collection and we would love to share yours online.Submit Yours