Over the years, I've experimented with The Spice House Fajita Seasoning, using it to cook primarily beef fajitas. More recently, my wife and I have embarked upon a low-fat to no-fat approach to cooking. The recipe noted below proves that a person can enjoy robust flavors while incorporating virtually no fats. Particularly given the relatively recent trend toward low-fat and low-carb diets, this recipe seems particularly appropriate.
1. Mix the oil, juice from the limes, and fajita seasoning in a sealable container. I tend to use a large Ziplock plastic bag for this purpose. Add the chicken, coat thoroughly and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Once ready to begin cooking, spray the inside of a large frying pan with PAM or Weight Watchers spray. Quickly begin to brown the garlic, stirring rapidly. Then add the chopped onions and combine with the garlic. Stirring often, cook until the mixture begins to soften and brown.
3. After cooking the onions, set them aside. Use the same large frying pan to cook the chicken and marinade combination, again on high heat. Lowering heat, cook until mixture is essentially dry and set aside, keeping the chicken warm.
4. Using either gas or charcoal, spray the grill rack with PAM or weight watchers spray. Using medium to high heat, grill the bell peppers and yellow zucchini until they take on grilling marks.
5. In a cast iron skillet placed inside the grill, cook the tomato halves. Simmer uncovered until they become slightly dry. Stir occasionally so they don’t burn.
6. Heat the refried beans in an appropriate container and set aside, keeping them warm until ready to serve.
7. Wrap medium or large tortillas inside a thin cotton towel. Place inside a microwave oven and heat just until well warmed so as not to cause them to become dry.
8. Perhaps using a buffet approach to serving, each person can fill a warmed tortilla with whatever ingredients suit any person’s particular tastes.
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share with The Spice House community? We are currently gathering recipes to include in our collection and we would love to share yours online.Submit Yours