Marcia's Wild Spaghetti Western Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds hot Italian sausage links
- 3 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 4 ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 11 ounce can Campbell's Pork & Beans
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot.)
- 1 shot whiskey (equal to 1/4 cup)
- cooked spaghetti
- grated cheddar cheese
Heat a large pot of water to boiling and boil the Italian sausage links for 7-10 minutes. Then, drain sausage and allow it to cool.
In large dutch oven or kettle, brown the ground beef in the olive oil. Drain off most, but not all, of the grease. Slice the Italian sausage links and add to the ground beef. Add the canned products to the kettle in the order given. Then add the chopped vegetables. Next, add the dry spices, one at a time. Finally, stir in the liquid smoke, the cayenne sauce and the shot of whiskey.
Bring chili to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for one hour, allowing chili to thicken slightly.
Serve chili on top of spaghetti with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.