The surprising addition of pepper and ginger nibs adds to the spiciness of these gingersnaps.
1. Combine the flour, baking soda, both gingers, cinnamon, salt, pepper and allspice in a medium bowl; set aside.
2. Cream butter in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in brown sugar until well blended; beat in egg and molasses until thoroughly combined. Gradually add the reserved flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
4. Chill 1 hour. (Dough will be sticky.)
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Shape dough into balls 1 1/2 inches in diameter (a Good Grips medium cookie scoop saves time). Dip tops in raw sugar. Place cookies, sugared side up, about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
7. Bake until cookies are firm to the touch and the edges are beginning to brown, 16-18 minutes. Let stand 1 minute; transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
Nutrition information per serving: 79 calories, 34% of calories from fat, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 12 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 101 mg sodium, 0.2 g fiber
This recipe was provided by Nancy B from Evanston