This is a modification of the standard Scalloped/AuGratin potatoes with sharper, British cheeses and four herbs that should be obvious to any Simon and Garfunkel fan!
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Mix the Potato slices and diced onion together and place into a butter greased 3 quart casserole dish
3. In a 1.5 quart saucepan, melt the 3 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter over HIGH heat and then slowly mix in the 3 Tablespoons of flour, mixing constantly
4. Once the flour and butter are mixed, slowly add the 2 cups of Milk and heat to thicken, continuing to rapidly stir to prevent burning.
5. Mix in the Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme
6. Add the cheese crumbles and reduce heat to simmer. Mix until the cheese crumbles have melted into the sauce
7. Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes and onion in the casserole dish
8. Cover and cook for 90 minutes
9. Remove from oven, allow to stand for 15-20 minutes, then stir and serve
Gloucester Stilton Cheese should be easily found in any decent grocery store. It is basically layers of yellow-orange Gloucester and the whiter Stilton
This recipe was provided by Michael M from Rochester Hills