Asian Coleslaw Recipe
Asian Coleslaw Notes
This recipe was used by Chef Kevin Bozis and Chef Jennifer "JR" Statz for a Stirring Things Up in Chicago Event at the Old Town shop in June 2005.
Patty and Tom Erd spoke about ethnic Chicago spices and blends, and the guests were served five different ethnic dishes. Asian Coleslaw was served with the Chinese 5 Spice Marinated Pork Satay. This dish represents the cuisine of Chinatown.
- 1 large head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tart apples, finely shredded and tossed with lime juice to prevent browning
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup pickled ginger, julienne or finely diced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
Serves / Yields
Place cabbage and apple in a large bowl. Add the vinegar, cilantro, sesame oil, ground ginger, pickled ginger, soy sauce, crused red pepper, celery salt, and green onion. Toss well, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill at least 1 hour, and up to 3 hours. Drain off excess liquid to keep cabbage crisp.
This recipe can easily be cut in half, for smaller serving sizes.