Baba Ghanoush Recipe
Submitted By:from Chicago.
Baba Ghanoush Notes
This smokey eggplant dip is a great appetizer for any type of Middle Eastern meal.
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 Roma tomato, diced, for garnish
Serves / Yields
1 1/3 cups
Pierce the eggplant in several places with a toothpick. Wrap the whole eggplant in two layers of aluminum foil, and set it over a gas burner flame (or on a hot grill). Cook, turning to get all sides, until it collapses and releases steam. While still hot, carefully unwrap the eggplant and place it in a bowl of cold water. Peel the skin off and allow to drain in a colander until cool. Squeeze the pulp to remove bitter juices, and then mash the eggplant into a puree.
In a food processor, or blender, mix the tahini with the garlic and lemon juice. Thin the mixture with water. With the machine running, add the eggplant, salt, paprika, and olive oil. Spread out in a shallow dish and garnish with Aleppo pepper, parsley, and tomatoes.
Serve with toasted pita triangles.
Easily make your own pita triangles with the recipe on this website.