Braised Beef with Harissa and Preserved Lemon Recipe
Braised Beef with Harissa and Preserved Lemon Notes
Photo courtesy of She Cooks He Cleans.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 medium yellow onion, large dice
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ras el Hanout
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup harissa, sweet or spicy
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Brown beef in a large oven-proof pot. Remove beef when browned and saute onions in the same pot. Add lemon, garlic, Ras el Hanout, cumin, coriander, and harissa to onions and stir until aromatic. Return browned beef to pot. Add stock, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
Cover pot and braise in oven for 2.5 - 3 hours until meat is tender.
Serve with couscous or rice.