Chai (Masala Tea) Recipe
Chai (Masala Tea) Notes
This recipe is an update of a chai recipe my mother gave me years ago. We have both spent the past 2 years improving upon the original recipe. Our whole family is becoming addicited to it!
- 4 cups water
- 2 whole star anise
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 large piece ginger, candied or fresh, diced
- 1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 bags black tea (or equivalent loose)
- 4 cups milk, hot
- 1/4 cup honey, or brown sugar
Serves / Yields
Combine all ingredients except milk and sweetener, and boil for 10 minutes. Strain. Add the hot milk, and mix, with your choice of honey or brown sugar.
Place the ground cardamom in a tea bag, or muslin bag, if you don't want cardamom sediment in your chai. The Spice House offers muslin bags to hold all of the spices and tea for less overall sediment in your chai.