Clay's Cajun Seafood Soup Recipe
Submitted By:from .
Clay's Cajun Seafood Soup Notes
This recipe was developed by long-time Spice House customer and friend Chef Clay Erickson. We love when he comes to visit and brings us some of his delicious soups!
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Tellicherry black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons Minor’s© Lobster Base
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 pound frozen cod fillets
- 1 pound (40-50) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crawfish, fully cooked, peeled, and deveined
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Serves / Yields
Cook barley in chicken stock for 30 minutes in covered sauce pan. Turn off and set aside. Steam Cod for 10 minutes. Cool down and set aside. In soup pot, melt butter. Add shallots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, Cajun Seasoning, Thyme, Marjoram, Basil, salt & pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, Worcestershire Sauce, water and Lobster Base. Cook for 45 minutes. Add sherry, cooked barley, cooked cod (broken into chunks), shrimp and crawfish. Cook for additional 10 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls and lightly garnish with Cilantro.
You can purchase Minors brand soup bases online at www.soupbase.com. If you don't have Minors lobster base, any seafood soup base can be substituted.