Duck, Apple & Manchego Cheese Salad Recipe
Duck, Apple & Manchego Cheese Salad Notes
The duck in this fanciful and flavorful salad is poached in stock without skin, making it succulent and low fat. The same stock adds flavor to the creamy dressing. Those crispy bits of skin, or "cracklings," add a heavenly if not exactly dietetic crunch to the salad. Use as many as you dare!
- 1 whole moulard duck breast, cut into 2 cutlets
- 1½ ounce (45 g) Glace de Canard Gold® + 1¼ c. (310 mL) hot water
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) green peppercorn mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) almond oil
- 4 ounces (120 g) mixed field greens
- 1/3 cup (83 mL) slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 3 ounce (90 g) Manchego or Gruyère cheese, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tart green apple, cored and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped parsley
- to taste, salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serves / Yields
Skin duck, and cut skin into 1 /2-inch squares, combine with 2 T. (30 mL) water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer until fat is rendered and skin is very crisp. Remove cracklings and blot on paper towels. Heat 1 T. (15 mL) duck fat in a large skillet over high heat. Blot breasts dry and brown duck on both sides, 1 minute per side. Add diluted Glace de Canard Gold® to pan, cover, and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove breasts, cut into thin slices across the grain, and return to stock. Blend mustard, garlic, 1 c. (250 mL) of the poaching liquid, and vinegar in a blender until smooth. With motor running, pour in oil. Combine greens, almonds, cheese, apple, parsley, cracklings, and drained duck in a salad bowl. Add dressing, season with salt and pepper, toss, and serve.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!