Elk and Bean Chili Recipe
Submitted By:from Chicago.
Elk and Bean Chili Notes
My father goes hunting in Colorado every year, and always come back with delicious elk meat for me to cook with. This is a great recipe for game meat or beef, whatever is available to you.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup dutched cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup chili powder, medium hot, divided in half
- 1/8 cup ground cumin, divided in half
- 1 pound elk hamburger (venison or beef may be used)
- 2-28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes with juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-30 ounce can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1-15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1-4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced (deseed and devein if you don't like the heat)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cassia cinnamon
Serves / Yields
8-10 Main Course Servings
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant, about 2 more minutes.
Mix in the cocoa powder, half of the chili powder and cumin, and the oregano. Cook 1 minute.
Add the elk (or other meat) and cook until browned, about 7-10 minutes. Mix in tomatoes and honey. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Add beans, water, salt, chipotle, cinnamon and other half of the chili powder and cumin. Bring to boil over high heat and then reduce to medium and simmer uncovered until it thinkens slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir often.
Season with salt. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly before serving or refrigerating. You can also freeze it for future use.
Assorted toppings go well with this chili: sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, shredded cheeses, diced hot peppers, and shaved bittersweet chocolate.