Italian Hunter's Stew Recipe
Submitted By:from milwaukee.
- 1 chicken, cut in eighths
- flour for dredging
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 carrot, 1/4 inch cut
- 1/2 cup shiitakes, rehydrated and sliced
- 1/2 cup porcinis, rehydrated and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, or cooking wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons coarse granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons Italian herb blend
- 1/2 cup dehydrated bell peppers
Serves / Yields
Rehydrate the mushrooms in about 1 cups of hot water. Once soft, gently squeeze out excess water and save the water for later. Prepare the vegetables. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or skillet. Dredge the chicken in the flour and brown the pieces on all sides in hot oil. Stir in the diced onion. Deglaze the skillet with the wine and mushroom liquid. Add the remaining seasonings and stir. Add the vegetables and bring the whole stew to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat for 30-35 minutes. Serve as is or over rice or noodles.
For a more earthy flavor add a little mushroom base. To thicken a little, add tomato powder.
For a low-sodium stew, make sure you get low-sodium canned tomatoes.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!