Mad Annie's Apple Cranberry Stuffing Recipe
Submitted By:from Kenosha.
Mad Annie's Apple Cranberry Stuffing Notes
I have never been fond of Thanksgiving stuffing. In my quest to find a stuffing free of organ meats and strong flavors that were uncompletmentary to the turkey, I found one that used two harvest standards: cranberries and apples. After a few modifications, here it is:
- 1-2 large Pink Lady, Gala, or Braeburn apples
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 bag unseasoned stuffing
- 1 can (16 ounces) low fat, low salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon-1 Tablespoon sweet basil (or lemon basil)
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon celery salt
- to taste, freshly ground tellicherry black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper
Serves / Yields
One medium turkey and a casserole
In a sauce pan, par boil the cranberries until they begin popping. Don't worry if they don't all pop, the point is to have the rest of them pop inside the turkey or the casserole dish while cooking.
In a large pot, prepare the stuffing according to package instructions, but using the can of chicken broth. Add spices/herbs and mix well, tasting occasionally to suit your needs. Mix in apples and celery and drained cranberries. Stuff Bird.
Take the remainder of the stuffing and put into a quart casserole dish. Bake at the end of the turkey cooking time, for about 20-minutes-to one-half hour covered, and adding approximately another half cup to one cup of chicken broth, to suit your personal preference. (The object is to prevent the stuffing that is not in the bird from becoming too dry or too soggy).
The amounts listed for the spices can be adjusted to individual preference and quantity of stuffing. It is a suggested guideline only. (What? You think I actually measure this stuff? It's to taste, people! That's what makes it "mad.")
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!