Margo's Chili Recipe
Submitted By:from Tampa.
Margo's Chili Notes
When my husband was running for the City of Milwaukee School Board (1983), I always had a huge pot of chili on the stove for the campaign workers on Saturday. Everyone was disappointed when the elections were over (even though he won) because there were no more Saturday chili meals!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons medium-hot chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef flavored "Better than Bouillion"
- 2 16 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 12 ounce bottle beer
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 16 ounce cans chili beans (such as "Bush")
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, or other small pasta, optional
- to taste, salt
Serves / Yields
Brown meat, onions, green pepper and garlic in large dutch oven until meat is barely brown and vegtables are limp. Drain in collander to remove fat.
Return to pan and add remaining ingredients except beans and macaroni and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
Then, add beans and continue simmering for another 30 minutes.
While it is simmering, cook the macaroni to al dente and add to chili the last 15 minutes.
Serve topped with grated cheddar or hot pepper monterrey jack cheese and chopped onions.
Tortilla chips make great "dippers" for this thick chili.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!