Miang Gai (Chicken Bundles) Recipe
Submitted By:from Chicago.
Miang Gai (Chicken Bundles) Notes
This recipe was adapted from "The New American Chef" by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. It was used as an appetizer during their book signing event at The Spice House in Old Town Chicago in April 2004.
- 20 green cabbage leaves
- 1 cup grilled chicken breasts, chilled and minced very small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3-4 serrano chiles, seeded and slivered
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, fine
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 1/4 fresh lime, with peel, slivered
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped or buzzed in a food processor
- 20 toothpicks
Serves / Yields
- Cut the cabbage leaves with a 3-inch round biscuit cutter in the center of each leaf. You may need to use a pairing knife around the edge. Wash the finished cabbage circles and set aside to dry.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (except the ginger, lime, and peanuts) in a bowl. Mix well to combine, and let sit for about 15 minutes. The recipe up to this point can be done a day ahead and put in the refrigerator until ready to assemble.
- To assemble, use a melon-baller or rounded teaspoon and place one scoop of the chicken mixture into the center of each cabbage leaf. Garnish with a nugget of ginger, a sliver of lime, and some peanuts. Fold the circle in half and carefully close with a toothpick. Serve on a platter with extra peanuts, lime and ginger in the center.
A micro-plane grater is great for the ginger garnish. It produces small pieces without the stringiness. The garlic, shallots and peanuts can all be processed in a food processor until finely diced. Quite a time saver! Make sure to have extra cabbage on hand. It can be hard to cut out the circles without breaking the leaf. Young, flexible cabbage works best.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!