Ratatouille, Bayou Style Recipe
Ratatouille, Bayou Style Notes
This recipe come from the fantastic Spicy Food Bible by Dave DeWitt, who has been nice enough to hold book-signings in our store. Thanks Dave, we love your food!
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 serrano chilis, destemmed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- to taste, salt
- to taste, fresh ground black pepper
Place the eggplant in a bowl, cover with salted water, let soak 30 minutes. Rinse, drain, and dry.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Combine all vegetables in a large bowl. Add the oil and other ingredients, and gently toss to coat.
Spread the mixture in a roasting pan and bake for 1 hour, then gently stir and bake 30 minutes or more, until vegetables are very soft.
If possible, let finished ratatouille sit for 1 hour - overnight for flavors to mellow. Remove bay leaf before serving.
This is a Lousisiana version of the classic French dish. Great in the summer when all the vegetables are ripe. Serve hot or cold, and don't be afraid of leftovers.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!