Rice Cooked in Aromatic Broth Recipe
Rice Cooked in Aromatic Broth Notes
We got this recipe from Orange Tree Imports Cooking School.
- 2 cups Basmati or other long grain rice
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Medium Onion quartered
- 1 Medium Onion cut in half and then crosswise
- 1 teaspoon Dried Minced Garlic
- 1 Small Piece Dried Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Black Tellicherry Peppercorns
- 8 Whole Fancy Green Cardamom Pods
- 1 teaspoon Whole Cumin Seeds
- 2 teaspoons Whole Coriandar Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Whole Fennel Seeds
- 1 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Turkish Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
Serves / Yields
Wash rice till water runs clear. Drain completely and add 5 cups of fresh water. Let rice soak 30 minutes. Pour into a strainer and leave for 20 minutes. Meanwhile in a small kettle bring to a simmer; stock, onion, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, cardamom, cumin, coriander, fennel, cinnamon and bay leaves. Once simmering cover and let go for 30 minutes. Through a towel strain, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. You should have 2 1/2 cups liquid, if not boil down until you do. In a heavy bottomed pan heat the oil. When hot, add onions and cook, stirring till golden brown. Add rice and salt, sautee rice, being careful that heat isn't too high and causing the grains to break open. About 2-3 minutes. Add in flavoured stock, cover with sheet of foil and then lid, turn heat to very low and cook 25 minutes.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!