Savory Northern Corn Bread Recipe
Submitted By:from Milwaukee.
Savory Northern Corn Bread Notes
This is NORTHERN corn bread at its best; moist, tender, savory, beautiful, fabulous!
- 1 1/2 Cups rice milk or rice and soy milk combination
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 4 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons dried red bell peppers
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup finely ground corn meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 Cup freeze-dried sweet corn
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon dried cilantro
- Optional: 3 Tablespoons taco nacho seasoning
Serves / Yields
Preheat oven to 400º. Grease or butter a 10” glass pie pan.
In a large bowl, whisk the rice milk, egg, oil or butter and maple syrup until blended. Do not over beat. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients until mixed. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix only to combine. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared pan and bake 22-23 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean but not dry. Store one day at room temperature.
Using rice or rice and soy milk combination gives this bread a lovely moist tender crumb. If the corn bread lasts more than one meal, it can be kept at room temperature for at least one day. If it needs to be refrigerated, just gently reheat to regain the lovely tender crumb.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!