Southern Nights Slow Cooker Veggie-Sausage Gumbo Recipe
Submitted By:from .
Southern Nights Slow Cooker Veggie-Sausage Gumbo Notes
Gumbo can be vegetarian AND still “stick to your ribs” hearty and delish! A meal in a bowl with the convenience of “set and forget” cooking from your slow cooker.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or non-whipped margarine
- 3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1-2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups okra, sliced into 1/2 inch circles
- 1 large green pepper, finely diced
- 2 vegan beer brats, cut into thin circles
- cooked wild rice blend, 1/2 cup ber serving
- gumbo file powder
Serves / Yields
Serves 6-8 people.
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. In another cooking pot, make roux: Over MEDIUM heat, melt butter and gradually add flour, stirring constantly to form a smooth paste. Add spices, Tabasco and salt (if using). Gradually add the soup stock, stirring constantly. Cover and cook over MEDIUM-HIGH heat until slightly thickened, about 5-8 minutes. *Use 4 C. soup stock for a very thick soup or 5 C. if you prefer a thinner consistency.
Transfer vegetables and roux mixture to slow cooker. Add tomatoes with juice and lemon juice and stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours ADDING okra for last 30 minutes of cooking time (ON HIGH) and sausages and green pepper for last 10 minutes of cooking time (ON HIGH). To serve. Place a ½ C. of cooked wild rice blend in bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over top. Finish with a generous sprinkle of file powder and serve.
Southern Nights Slow Cooker Veggie-Sausage Gumbo recipe © Geraldine Helen Hartman. Visit Veggies, Yarns & Tails for more recipes and other fun stuff! Check out the first volume of the author’s new cookbook series: The Groovy Green Kitchen: Weeknight Veggie Slow Cooker.
Use 4 cups of stock for a thick soup, or up to 5 cups for a thinner soup.
If using frozen okra, thaw before slicing.
Tofurkey brand vegan beer brats work well in this recipe.
This recipe has no comments. Be the first to submit a comment!